Monday, November 24, 2008

Works Every Time

When I was in grade 1 we were lined up at the door to come back into school after recess in our little grade 1 line, as we were told. While waiting in line, the back of the line would always push the line forward into the door and then spring back so the grade 1 line would look like an accordion before they let us inside. Well this one time the teachers popped the doors open just as we were springing back and reloading the next compression, when, the front person tripped over the metal door frame and the second person didn’t have time to think and tripped over the first person and the third person didn’t have time to think and so on. After a few seconds there was a pile up of about 20 kids that had ALL tripped over the person in front of them. I don't know how it happened so perfectly but there was a heap of squirming and groaning kids and me pissing myself laughing with the teacher standing over us yelling at us and giving us shit. It may have been the funniest clumsy gong show I've ever been a part of and thinking about it still makes me laugh till this day.

When I was in College I was rocking back in my chair at the back of my computer class until finally I did it. I got too cocky and rocked back just beyond the tilt apex of the back legs and, with silent flailing arms, went ass-over-teakettle and smashed the back of the chair into the hard tile floor. Pieces of the plastic chair went flying and every one of my classmates turned around to see the source of the noise just in time to see my legs flying up in the air. I couldn’t keep from laughing as I righted the chair and sat back down in it. I leaned forward and buried my face in my arms on the table while my shoulders quietly bounced up and down in a breathless church giggle. I guess I was laughing at the fact that no one saw me doing the backstroke of terror while on my way to horizontalhood. When I had finally regained my composure I sat up and leaned against the chair back which, weakened from the previous impact, promptly snapped off dumping me on my ass again.

2 comments:

M said...

1. "Breathless church giggle" is my new meme.

2. That is still how people line up in Russia today.

Anonymous said...

In Russia there is no accordion - it's all just squish. Angry testy squish.
Mom