Wednesday, March 24, 2010

First Things First

One of the first things I did in Abu Dhabi was get a haircut. I even saved up some growth for the event. I was told it was something I’d want to experience. The barber pulled the red curtain closed and turned up what looked like Arabic CSI on the crappy little TV. Heroes with thick black moustaches pointed empty guns and mimicked recoil at the bad guys in thick black moustaches as they sped off in a getaway goat milk truck. Then the heroes had fits in the street with really frustrated looks on their faces. Sometimes the barbers would all yell at each other from behind their curtains about a certain scene – they were all on the same channel. After a standard head shave he reclined the chair for my shave. He drew his straight razor and began stroking it across the leather strap while still watching his TV. I really hoped he was going to be looking at me for this part of the procedure. This is the only time in my adult life that I have used, to a T, the advice my mother gave when I was a child and getting my hair cut: “be still like a statue”. But the service went well, but for a few nicks. I felt like De Niro as Capone in the opening scene to The Untouchables. This was followed by the barber slapping five separate layers of goop on my face for my (I guess customary) man-facial. It tingled, it was nice. So I sat there patiently with a giant goop beard watching all moustache TV before I was toweled off and sent on my way. The 30 degree breeze was actually cool across my face during the walk home.

2 comments:

Kate and/or Mike said...

The most tense shaving scene ever - ever - is the scene in The Color Purple. No matter how many times I see it, I can't help but squirm and look away and glance back and squirm more. I think there are two, in fact, but here's the first one. For the shaving scene alone, go to 7:27. For the reason why it's so loaded, go to 4:45. For the reason for that scene, go to 2:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWN-7kRLe8&feature=related

Pearl said...

I can't imagine the nerve it takes to offer your neck to a man you've just met!

Pearl