Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I Wore Two Sunglasseses

What do you do if you’re a Sheik with a trillion-dollar float, an army of slave labour, a reputation to uphold, an ego to serve and coastal neighbours that try to one-up you all the time. You build Dubai!Between the reflection off the sea and the glass skyscrapers, Dubai is the shiniest place on Earth.

Instead of on the convergence of two rivers, or on the site of a historical settlement, Dubai is what a city would look like if it were founded on showmanship.














In Dubai, you don’t want to live where you can afford to live and you could never afford to live where you would want to.


It’s a giant playground for the rich. We had fun, are we aren't even rich, that's why we didn't go skiing, but we did enjoy a $15 cocktail at the base of the ski hill.


4 comments:

Lindsey said...

I need to be able to click these and make them bigger! I wanna go back. Let's leave tonight.

Stacey said...

And take me with you!

Kate and/or Mike said...

Exercises in perfectionism:

I have a brother with a brilliant mind. His was a mind rarely captured by the kinds of things which attempted to chase it down, such as school. His was a mind instead which chased its own things down. It leap-frogged from subject to subject, often branching out into multiple things simultaneously. It connected disciplinary lenses. It took ideas and turned them on their heads then plugged them into other ideas.

One day, this brother decided to start a blog, and I was excited. I remember driving to the lake with him once in complete silence (after my brief and utterly failed attempt at conversation). Eight hours. No words, except for "I think we're going to run out of gas" roughly five hours in. This was my chance to see! To read! To follow him on his adventures!

But alas, though not confined by ideas, he became confined by his own hubris. "Only perfection can be proffered," he asserted.

And so while I check, while I wait, while I hope for any nugget (or dumpling, if you will) to be offered forth, he guards his thoughts.

Your audience doesn't seek perfection! Your audience seeks you.

water heater said...

nice pic........