Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gave at the Office/Friends Lost



Here’s a video explanation of a concept called the landing pad. What’s interesting about this is that it’s not so much a video about a particular space in your house as it is a video about a particular space within a woman’s mind. Like a voluntary tumour or a chunk she donated to her retarded brother. I do appreciate the rather large concession though, the allowance of temporary clutter. You can see her blood pressure rise as she begins to talk about what happens when the landing pad doesn’t get processed.

And she goes one beyond to suggest that it become like a “task driver” where anything on the pad that pertains to you is a task you must perform or an item you must process. That’s some pretty forward thinking. That’s the cutting edge in terms of accountability when you think abou– oh wait, we do that here at the office. Employing business practices at home is not revolutionary, it’s out of place. A business functions because its people are both masters of their domain and accountable to the product they put forth. Children are neither.

I used to have a landing pad in my old apartment, it was called the kitchen. Then I had a landing pad for clothes that were in flux between clean and dirty, it was called the entire bedroom. These were more permanent residences than temporary landing pads though. I loved clutter. Clutter was my roommate. Clutter always had my back. Because of clutter, shit was right THERE when I needed it, right where I had put it down (a convenience seldom enjoyed when living with a woman). Picking clothes to wear was easy because clutter ensured my entire wardrobe was always within sight. Me and clutter made some pretty cool discoveries every now and then too, like, “The fuck is that smell?” and “There that shit is!” When I went to sleep at night I knew clutter would watch over me, which was comforting, except that when I tried to walk around in the dark clutter always seemed to be sleeping right in my path. Clutter ensured that doing the dishes was slick and easy because clutter soaked them for a couple weeks. Me and clutter used to laugh at people who were such neat freaks it got to be counterintuitive. “Like when you sit down to turn on the TV only to realize the remote has been ‘put away’ – on top of the TV!” Clutter would say and we would laugh and laugh. *SIGH* I kinda miss clutter. We were tight. Clutter will always have a special place in my heart.

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

Your clutter has no space in my heart.

Anonymous said...

You are SO adopted.
Mom

Anonymous said...

hmmmm....clutter..lazy...clutter...lazy...lazy...clutter....lazy..lazy..lazy...lazy...hmmmm

Ivonne said...

Clutter is my roommate too! I love clutter. Too bad my mom doesn't appreciate it and is always on my ass to kick clutter out of my room.

Also, i LOVED the comment you left on my blog. Great stuff!

Kate said...

I never want to be that woman.

Never.

Although she's a great candidate for Alanon.

Control Freaks.

Aaron, Kate, Will and Wyatt said...

Who is the non-Mom anonymous comment??? Laughed my ass off. Glad to hear she's whipping you into shape cuz.

Christian said...

No idea. Have to take some public scorn when you have an open blog, of course. Maybe next post I'll talk about how great I am. That might be a long post.

Kate and/or Mike said...

Well I'd appreciate a new post because that woman scared the crap out of me. Granted, I'm a clutter-fiend too, so perhaps I was simply recognizing her as my natural enemy. No, I think I was recognizing her horrible presenting skills.