Thursday, March 19, 2009

The House Rent Boogie

Recently I joined the ranks of the unemployed. The axe came down, swift and unforeseen. I was looking left and it came from the right.

A combination of lyrics play over and over again in my head from George Thorogood's "1 Bourbon, 1 Scotch and 1 beer" and, it's predecessor, John Lee Hooker's "House Rent Boogie".

I come home last Friday, talk to the woman that I lost my job,
She says don't confront me as long as I have my rent next Friday

Except it was Tuesday. And of course the woman was sweet and supportive, albeit suffering from a required minimal amount of stress.

The first items on one's action list when they get fired are updating the resume, pounding the pavement and hitting up contacts. And yes, I did do some homework on day one, but I also went out for lunch and was playing xbox when the woman came home.

She said "I don't believe you're tryin' to find no job,
I seen you today you was standin' on a corner, Leaning up against a post."
I said "But I'm tired, I've been walkin' all day, I just can't find no job."


Of course what one knows they should do often differs from the first thing they actually do.

So I stop in the local bar you know people,
I go to the bar, I ring my coat, I call the bartender
Said "Look man, come down here!"
He got down there, "So what you want?"

And the rest is foggy lyrical history.

6 comments:

Chris Wilson said...

I'm now in the same boat. I feel for you man. Keep your head up and go kick some ass!

Christian said...

Downey's feeling the pinch too? I have a feeling you'll land on your feet.

Chris Wilson said...

Downey doesn't feel anything anymore. They were seized in the middle of the night back in November and sold for saltine crackers to US Bank. As of March 31st, they no longer require our services.

Christian said...

Well we have a unique job surplus here in Saskatchewan. But it will stay that way because no one wants to work in a place that can't match salary to living conditions, IE, cost of housing.

M said...

Sorry to hear about your job. Another thing you can do while unemployed is professional development. Little courses here and there.

Kate and/or Mike said...

Post, damn you!