Tuesday, March 10, 2009

We walked along the pristeen beach to a row of shops because we needed some junk to take home, a t-shirt, a painting, a wood carving. It was a nice walk, the sand is as white and soft as icing sugar, the giant lake is brilliant torquoise and blue. Walking into the water while the surf is receding creates a strange effect. The ground races away from you under your feet faster than you can walk so it looks like you're moving backwards but you're walking forwards.

Lindsey's a ruthless haggler. She'll walk into the first shop start dropping the price of a wanted item faster than a loosed coconut from a rotted stem. But he's only the set up man. Once she gets to a decent price she'll leave and take that with her to the next shops where she'll tell them that they now have to beat that price. There's a lot of arguing, turning away, eyelash batting and eventually smiling. She's a killer.

4 comments:

Kate and/or Mike said...

Can I take her with me on trips? I hate bartering.

Anonymous said...

#1 rule of bartering: they need to sell it (to you) more than you need to buy it (from them).
j

Kate and/or Mike said...

I know the rules. I know the tactics. I know what percentage of what their initial offer you should actually pay. I know they wouldn't finally agree to sell it unless they wanted or needed to (were making a profit). I don't care. I really hate bartering.

Anonymous said...

That's my girl!